Sunday, October 09, 2005

Amber Alert!

CHILD ABDUCTED
GY 1999 LEXUS
NY ↑CCR2225

As traffic crawled up the Meadowbrook Parkway on a sultry Sunday afternoon, I noticed the above on the warning sign overhead. At first I thought, "That sounds like my license plate!" Then I thought, "If the child was abducted anywhere around Roosevelt Field Mall, the abductor couldn't have gotten very far...look at this traffic! Oh how Long Island unites to save its children!" Then, after I followed the warnings across the county line (unsurprisingly, the "Sign Under Contstruction" near Douglaston Parkway remained blank), into New York city (out of curiosity), I thought about what might happen if I were to call and report a sighting:

Me: "Hi. Is this e-911?"
e911: "Hello, 911 Emergency. What is the nature of the emergency?"
Me: "I think I see the grey 1999 Lexus. What an ugly car!"
e911: "Are you referring to our Amber Alert, sir? What is your location?"
Me: "Of course Amber! Don't you know where I am? Isn't that why we put the e in 911?"
e911: "OK. Can you confirm that you're on the Long Island Expressway at Francis Lewis Boulevard?"
Me: "Yes! Attack!"
e911: "Please refrain from incindiary commentary, sir. Are you calling from a cellphone?"
Me: "Of coruse I am!"
e911: "Are you using it hands-free?"
Me: "Oh shit."
::throws phone across car, looks out for police::

Maybe it's for the best that I didn't find the car...

Concerned, excited, but also having to pee, I gave up the hunt and left it to my fellow motorists to save the abducted child.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

Actually, it's okay to hand-hold the phone if you're calling 911. So you're fine if you spot the car and need to call in. 911 calls are an exception in the law.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Matty said...

That's good to know!

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home