Saturday, January 15, 2005

Larger than Life

Why does a lot off music sound better in my car than anyplace else? No, not because my car stereo is the best I own. Let me rephrase: why does music sound better when I'm in motion? Ever try lis'nin' to something on a plane or a train and then looking out the window as you rush by clouds? Do it: your music WILL sound different!

Few can deny the awesome power of The Backstreet Boys harmonic and enharmonic perfection. But their "classics" sound even better in the car. I maintain that some of their wonders were written with the express purpose of being listened to while in motion. For example, "I want it that way" almost sounds silly if you listen to it while standing still. But if you pay attention mostly to the song's chord and chorus climaxes, it's downright triumphant!

About their paean to fans, "Larger than Life," Amazon reviewer, J. Derek Reardon of KC, MO, offers, "...With 5 major hits already, you can't go wrong purchasing this release, even if the rest wasn't as great. But there's no fear of that -- these are 12 gems you be singing along with for a long time. "Larger Than Life" is a huge power dance tune with great lyrics and an undeniable groove, I've car danced to this song frequently on my commute."

Car-dancing! That's what it's called!

On an unrelated note...did you know that after a succession of clicks, you can add Amazon reviewrs to "your favorite people" list and then upgrade them from that standing to "your Amazon friends?" "But of course, Delia, doesn't everyone have a bevy of friends in the Amazon?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo! I love listening to music in the car! It's probably the first reason why I love long-distance driving so much... my chance to listen to all the albums I bought recently but just haven't had the chance to carefully hear them. And yeah, I car dance, and car sing... car belt actually! Other drivers must think...

Oh, and re: amazon friends! i wonder if you can get rss/xml links for them so their reviews will appear on my aggregated friends page as a syndicated feed on livejournal?

2:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo! I love listening to music in the car! It's probably the first reason why I love long-distance driving so much... my chance to listen to all the albums I bought recently but just haven't had the chance to carefully hear them. And yeah, I car dance, and car sing... car belt actually! Other drivers must think...

Oh, and re: amazon friends! i wonder if you can get rss/xml links for them so their reviews will appear on my aggregated friends page as a syndicated feed on livejournal?

--Jesse

2:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home